What Do You Want To Create or Transform?
Innovation Engineering Applications:
What is Innovation Engineering?
Innovation Engineering: A framework to create or transformation anything aided by aligning human talent in an efficient, effective, and positive manner. This framework offers practical guidance useful in large firms, research labs, new ventures, or even innovative student projects.
Why is Innovation Engineering needed?
It is needed because smart teams with talented people and good plans often fail. Lots of activity does not always result in progress. Slide presentations do not result in real life execution. Teams who use Innovation Engineering in their projects get higher quality results, they have 2 to 4 times more productivity, and they even feel happier about their projects.
How is it different from other approaches?
Innovation is complex and requires 2 fundamental components:
- Story narrative: This may include a system level technology strategy and business model.
- Execution while learning - Inductive learning allows discovery to happen during project execution which is needed for innovation.
- Human side of innovation: The team must work with the correct mindset, behaviors, and leadership
What Resources Are Available?
How do Students and Industry Professionals Describe Experiences with Innovation Engineering?
- "Realistic, engaging, efficient"
- "Implementation while learning"
- "High-tech, innovative, hands-on"
- "This course gives me a new experience with innovation"
- "Insightful, technical, collaborative. My overall experience has been great. The instructor's advice has been helpful."
- "Innovative, agile, 5G."
- "I like the opportunity to create something new."
- "It is such a great experience. I like the feedback and suggestions that given after each presentation a lot!"
- "I learned about the importance of a Story"
- "Learned how to develop an entrepreneurship and leadership mindset"
- "I came with several powerful insights applicable to my team as we enter the development of our story."
- "Apart from trust, I like how the program guides us to become an innovative leaders.
- "The most interesting concept that I learned was about “Work Backwards with Planning, Work Forwards with Agile Iterations”
- "I’ve learned about sprints and iterations for learning."
- "Innovative, big picture, leadership"
- I think it is a really powerful class. I think a key way to end the class is to ensure that the connections between teams and professors stay strong even after the class so that the projects can develop to their full potential.
How Was Innovation Engineering Developed?
Innovation Engineering builds on the Berkeley Method for Entrepreneurship (BMoE) and the Berkeley Method for Innovation Leadership (BMIL). It has been developed over the past 15 years at UC Berkeley's Sutardja Center.
Innovation Engineering: Innovation Engineering is a framework create transformation and apply emerging technologies by aligning human talent in an efficient, effective, and positive manner – whether in large firms, research labs, new ventures, or student projects. The Innovation Engineering framework, developed at the Sutardja Center by Ikhlaq Sidhu, is currently used to guide advanced project courses at UC Berkeley as well as innovation projects at firms and governments around the world. See innovation-engineering.net for more information.
Web Site: This is a public and non-commercial website hosted to provide resources and support for innovation engineering projects. Project types include corporate collaborations, new venture acceleration, research lab partnerships, consulting projects, and classroom projects.