What Do You Want To Create or Transform?
Innovation Engineering Applications:
What is Innovation Engineering?
Innovation Engineering: A framework to apply technology and create transformation aided by aligning human talent in an efficient, effective, and positive manner. This framework offers practical guidance for creating transformation – whether in large firms, research labs, new ventures, or even innovative student projects.
Why is Innovation Engineering needed?
It is needed because smart teams with talented people and good plans often fail. Lots of activity does not always result in progress or insight. Slide presentations do not result in real life execution. Teams who use Innovation Engineering in their projects get higher quality results, they have 2 to 4 times more productivity, and they even feel happier about their projects.
How is it different from other approaches?
Innovation is complex and requires 2 fundamental components:
- Story narrative: This may include a system level technology strategy and business model.
- Human side of innovation: The team must work with the correct mindset, behaviors, and leadership
Another aspect of Innovation Engineering is inductive learning. Inductive learning allows discovery to happen during project execution which is needed for innovation. The complete Innovation Engineering framework integrates:
- story development
- execution while learning
- mindset, behaviors, and innovation leadership
What Resources Are Available?
How Can You Develop Innovation Skills?
For experts, technologists, industry-oriented faculty, and product managers. Experts who can actually innovate are needed everywhere.
- Learn about the approach in a workshop. Develop understanding.
- Check your innovation mindset and behaviors: See berkeleyinnovationindex.org
- Use reflection in your daily life to increase your psychology for innovation .
- Work on a real life project project. Accomplish a successful project with happy customers and/or managers/stakeholders.
How Was Innovation Engineering Developed?
Innovation Engineering builds on the Berkeley Method for Entrepreneurship (BMoE) and the Berkeley Method for Innovation Leadership (BMIL). It has been developed over the past 15 years at UC Berkeley's Sutardja Center.
This is a public and non-commercial website hosted to provide resources and support for innovation engineering projects. Project types include corporate collaborations, new venture acceleration, research lab partnerships, consulting projects, and classroom projects.