- Ikhlaq Sidhu
- Chief Scientist and Founding Director, Sutardja Center, UC Berkeley
- Interests: Intersection of "Data, Networks & Systems" with the "Human side of innovation including behaviors, mindset, leadership, and story narrative"
- CV and Affiliations
- Publication and Patents
- Contact sidhu at berkeley dot edu, LinkedIn or Twitter
- Downloadable photos for conferences
Ikhlaq Sidhu, Chief Scientist, and Faculty Director of UC Berkeley’s Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology. He is the author of the book "Innovation Engineering" and the creator of the very popular Data-X Course at Berkeley. He holds 75 patents in internet communication technologies. Dr. Sidhu developed the Entrepreneurship & Technology area at the #1 public university in the world, the Berkeley Method of Entrepreneurship (for new ventures), and the Berkeley Method of Innovation Leadership (for technical leaders).
In 2018, Sidhu received the IEEE Major Education Innovation Award. He received Berkeley IEOR Emerging Area Professor Award in 2009 at UC Berkeley. In 1999, he received 3Com Corporation’s Inventor of the Year Award. He serves on many advisory boards. He received his bachelor’s degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and his masters’ degree and doctorate in Electrical Engineering from Northwestern University.
IEEE Major Innovation Award, 2018
IEEE Leadership: Vice President, Educational Activities Chair, Witold Kinsner and Awards & Recognition Chair, Lorena Garcia, with Ikhlaq Sidhu
The IEEE Major Innovation Award (2018):
Ikhlaq Sidhu is the recipient of the 2018 IEEE Major Innovation Award in the education category for his research and teaching work at UC Berkeley. Past award winners of this international recognition include some of the most prolific professors in the world. Recent example include Rao Tummala, Endowed Chair Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering and in Materials Science and Engineering at Georgia Tech who developed System on Chip Packaging, IEEE Technical Field Award, Vincent Poor, IEEE Fellow, the Michael Henry Strater University Professor of Electrical Engineering at Princeton for development of smart energy grids, socially minded engineering leaders such as Karen Panetta, IEEE Fellow, Dean for Graduate Education, a Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and the Director of the Simulation Research Laboratory at Tufts University who also created the International Nerd Girls Program, John Booske, IEEE Fellow, Duane H. and Dorothy M. Bluemke Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering, University of Wisconsin for his contribution as a researcher and authorship of a leading text book in Microwave Electronics, and other distinguished faculty.
The IEOR Emerging Area Professor Award (2009):
The IEOR Emerging Area Professor Award is an internal Berkeley Department recognition for bringing a new area of teaching and research into the Industrial Engineering and Operation Research Department at UC Berkeley including Entrepreneurship & Technology as well the Engineering Leadership including a college-wide Master of Engineering Degree.
3Com Inventor of the Year (1999):
The 3Com Inventor of the Year Award was selected from approximately 14,000 people in the firm for work leading to new product and technology areas including networking technology, IP telephony, Internet communications, and mobile computing. Work from that period includes some of the world’s most seminal products and patents for real time voice and video communication over the Internet.
- Board of Directors, Qatar Foundation, 2019
- International Advisory Board, BII Business School, Norway, since 2019
- Honorary / Visiting: Chair Professor in Computer Science and Physics (joint appointment), HKBU, Hong Kong, 2018
- Faculty Committee for Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley, since 2016
- Board of Trustees of the Hamad Bin Khalifa University, Qatar, since 2016
- Faculty Director’s Council, Jacob’s Institute for Design Innovation, UC Berkeley since 2018 and Review Committee for Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation in 2020
- Master of Design Faculty Advisory Council UC Berkeley since 2019
- Advisor X-Fund, Advisor Onset Ventures
- Fellow, Applied Innovation Institute, since 7/ 2012 (501.3c),
- Founder, Innovation Engineering, Advisory Practice, 2010,
- Member IEEE since 1995.